DOT Glasses is a young Czech social enterprise that addresses one of the world’s largest health issues – nearly 1bn people who struggle to see but can’t afford eyeglasses or simply have no access to them.
The DOT Glasses approach is fairly radical. Apart from our adjustable, one-size-fits all frames (designed by a subsidiary of Mercedes-Benz), we’ve developed a transformational lens concept and proprietary vision tests. Our approach to testing vision doesn’t require trained optometrists, and our customized prescription eyeglasses are delivered immediately on site within 5 minutes, at extremely low cost (including the vision test).
DOT Glasses can be distributed through various governmental, non-governmental and corporate partners but also through community micro-entrepreneurs who would be equipped with a purpose-designed vision kit (the size of a small laptop bag). We have already launched our solution in more than 14 markets in Asia and Africa.
We’re looking for a regional manager for South Asia who would support our ongoing activities in India, Nepal and Bangladesh and help us to open new geographies in the region. The candidate should be a capable manager who will be passionate about bringing sight to the people around her or him and make a real impact on the lives of the underprivileged around the world. To successfully scale the impact to the largest number of people, the DOT Glasses business model strives for sustainability without donations, grants or subsidies. This means we need someone that, in cooperation with the local teams, will be able to sustain a profitable business with large social impact.
The main responsibilities
The main responsibilities of the Regional Manager consist of developing business/driving new sales in the region (with an emphasis on India), providing strategic oversight of the country teams and supporting them in the following areas:
Business Development and Sales
- Identifies new market opportunities
- Opens the doors to new distribution partners (NGOs, governments, hospitals and clinics, private for-profit networks, corporations employing large workforce)
- Defines and negotiates terms with distribution partners
- Provides execution support for new partners
- Manages ongoing relationships with partners
- Identifies external program funding opportunities for partners
- Responsibility to fulfill business plan
Strategic Leadership and Representation
- Contributes to continuous improvement of the business development strategy
- Actively networks with relevant stakeholders and represents DOT Glasses at strategic events in the region (health / vision conferences, social business conferences, government meetings)
Human Resources and Capacity Development
- Carries out the line management of Country directors (CDs) and team members, including provisions of support, guidance, regular feedback, and the identification of personal development needs
- Ensures efficient communication and smooth cooperation with the HQ support team
We are looking for an experienced business-minded person with a passion for improving the lives of people living at the bottom of the economic pyramid, with excellent managerial and communication skills. She or he will be supporting country teams in close cooperation with the central DOT Glasses team. The key characteristics include:
- Fully independent and driven to deliver
- Previous business development and partnership management experience and/or sales experience of at least 5 years
- Strong managerial and communication skills
- Negotiation and relationship management skills
- Aligned social mission to help the poor of the world
- Perfect command of English (both spoken and written)
- Specific regional experience is an asset
- Entrepreneurial experience (what it takes to make a business succeed) is an asset
- International professional experience of at least 2 years (excludes time spent abroad for studies)
- At least a Bachelor university degree
- Willingness to travel in the region
DOT Glasses Offers
- Exciting work for a young company with lot of room to shape the strategy and its operations
- Interesting financial compensation with significant upside
- Ability to grow within the company
- 20 days of annual leave
- 5 sick days
- Interesting and creative work with international reach
- Open and informal organizational culture
About the position
The position is a full-time job. The successful candidate will be expected to initially spend up to 3 months with the team in DOT Glasses HQ in Prague. Afterwards, the person will be permanently based in India (New Delhi), working closely with the local team with regular travels to Bangladesh and Nepal and possibly other countries in the region, should these be opened in the future as new markets. Travel and per diem expenses related to business trips will be covered by the DOT Glasses.
How to apply
Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter till 22nd of January on the email address: email@example.com. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Online interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.